View Single Post
      11-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #11
GTM_Challenge
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I know the Dunlops are a favorite of Chump Car guys because its 180 treadwear. Most others are lower. I think in the end the Dunlop will be inferior to the new offerings in the same category as it is now. No offense. Hankook will probably be last because they'll just reverse engineer the new techonology from Bridgestone, Michelin or some other brand.

In the end, I think the pecking order will be the same. The biggest wild card being Hankook...can they continue with their success? I think it was by accident that the RS3s are so popular. I have never seen an instance where a South Korean car company was innovative.
Most of the Dunlop Star Spec sizes are 200 UTQG, most of the Bridgestone RE11s are 180, and most of the Hankook RS3s are 140. UTQG doesn't really mean much when comparing between brands however. It was intended to be the case originally, but manufacturers have skewed the numbers.

I don't really consider they RS3s being innovative. They aren't good in wet. They don't last a long time. They are just fast. Fast in the autox, fast on the track. I hate the soft sidewalls they have. Most all of our customers that track their cars, get accelerated tire wear on the outside shoulder, even on cars that have dual wishbone suspensions with lots of camber. The compound is closer to an RComp than a true street tire.

Now, if they could make them Fast, Durable, with a stiff sidewall and good in the wet, we'd have a winner.

To date, the Star Spec and the Bridgestone RE11 win in the all around departments - fast, wet, good sideway, durable - in my opinion. Funny, cause the successors to both are being released next spring. Can't wait.
Appreciate 0