Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 BMW 540  [0.00]
2013 Porsche Boxster S  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post
I agree with the above posters. Stop looking a gift horse in the mouth and take the engine and warranty. You should consider yourself extremely lucky to have received that kind of offer from BMW. It's an 08 and the mileage isn't THAT low... I've seen requests denied for failures in newer cars with 1/4 the mileage of yours.

My company deals in these M's and I buy and sell them frequently at salvage auctions. Based on my experience you would never see anywhere close to 20k for the car without an engine regardless of how unique the car might be. Your only hope would be to find some schlub who is in love with the car and purchases it out of passion.

If you need to come in cheaper for a new engine, buy one with low miles and have a shop install it. I frequently sell engines with fewer miles than your car, or can even supply refurbished or rebuilt engines as well.

Personally I would jump on their offer for a discounted engine.
Why, on earth, should someone consider themselves extremely lucky for shelling out $17k on an engine that blew with that little mileage? And laugh my ass off at BMW only offering goodwill if car has not been redlined or tracked! This is an M3 we are talking about.
Appreciate 0