04-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #4253
Maeiourk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
there's a rebate program going on with canon equipment. check b+h and amazon for lowest prices.

personally i'd go with the 24-70 since that's pretty much the ONLY lens I use. it's generally the most used focal length and IMO the best all around general purpose lens. it's relatively knew (only a year old) so I don't think prices will go down lower than they are now. if you need it, get it. no use with time waisted waiting for the price to go to its lowest pice. if you're desperate for a cheaper price go buy used.

a LOT of people would suggest the 24-105 f/4 IS, which is another great lens, though I'd much rather go for the larger aperture. the only advantage of the lens would be for video. if you'll be shooting video than the IS is a necessity, but that depends on your needs.

congrats on the purchase!
I was going to get the 5DMkIII with 24-105 f/4 IS as the kit lens but didn't as I'm really aiming for the 24-70/70-200 combo. It would be a waste if I did. Plus, I need/want a larger aperture. I was going for the 24-70 f/4 IS and 70-200 f/4 IS combo, then get prime lenses for low lights/DOF but didn't really want to carry a lot, but with the f/2.8s, I wouldn't even consider primes as I've read that those zooms can pretty much compare to primes.

And thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by druu View Post
I think you may have just missed the rebates on them unfortunately. For gear though you can't go wrong with buying used from Fred Miranda forums. I would get the 24-70 first since it's more of a convenient range. I prefer primes in that range, but the 24-70 II is so sharp that it's an awesome buy. Also, rent a few of them first to see if you like the feel.
The rebates are still there. $2049 for the 24-70 f/2.8 at B&H. Probably the lowest I've seen. And yea, I have a shoot coming up and was planning to rent it first. Also, I kinda feel iffy about buying a used gear. I have never tried buying a used, and scared that I might get a bad copy of the lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Seriously consider the 70-200mm f/4L IS instead of the f/2.8 unless you really think you'll be using the larger aperture a lot. Same thing for the 24-105mm f/4L IS vs. the 2.8. The high ISO performance of the 5D MkIII is excellent.

Dave
Yea, I did consider it, especially the weight, but I always use a large aperture though. That's why I'm leaning towards the f/2.8.
Appreciate 0