fusion01
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Ford Focus ST: 2.5l /5 cyl

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by conradb View Post
You lost faith in BMW now because some thieves exploited a security vulnerability in some software? You may as well just stop using computers all together if that if your stance.

I'm sorry your car got stolen, but just saying "I've lost faith in BMW" is pretty short-sighted and ignorant. Cars get stolen all the time. Do people blame the mfg that the locking mechanism wasn't thief-proof?

Hint: There's no such thing as fool-proof security. Everything is breakable/hackable. It's the central tenet of security.

Further, you're all pissy because a company doesn't want to refund 6-mo left on your lease? If you bought a nice diamond ring on a loan, and a thief stole it, are you honestly going to ask the jeweler/bank to refund your money because someone stole it? The logic here is astounding...
Hell man, BMW should be blamed for this for not coming out and getting in touch immediately with every owner on their records whom could / would be affected. Their failure in this regard is most likely down to the avoidance of bad press. I'd not be surprised if this is rolled out faster in the US as corporations there fear a far greater legal case - it's probably easier to sue than ye' ol' British system (although not too sure on this).

A lot of BMW fanboys providing sympathy to the bloke but little vented at the company responsible.

OP: don't feel too bad. Here in South Africa if they want your car they just put a gun to your head and relieve you of it. No jokes. This sort of key programming is way over the head of the common thief prowling our sunny shores.
Appreciate 0