View Single Post
      10-13-2011, 07:16 AM   #24
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Thanks for the info. I've heard about ISAAC, but never seen one person. Are the connecting pieces solid links with ball joints at the ends that are connected by the damper in the middle? If so, then I can see how the damper provides mobility when expansion/compression speeds are low.

They reference a SAE paper on their website, and there is footage from 30 degree crash tests (as compared to HANS). HANS comes loose as criticized. I slowed it down and watch it, and it is indeed clear that a Halo extension would not change the outcome in that scenario since it comes out of the harness when the neck would just about clear the extension as the body moves forward. Although they don't reference the peak deceleration rate for that test (maybe the SAE paper does), they say it is meant to mimic a stock car crashing into the wall. One can argue the forces in crashes involving lower power/grip cars might be lower in general, but one can always find a way to put anything into a barrier/wall/tree that would yield high/comparable gs. The lateral sheer data are also interesting. I'll get a hold of the paper.

http://www.isaacdirect.com/