View Single Post
      06-14-2007, 04:37 AM   #17
13eastie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 M3

Garage List
We need objective figures, not "official" ones...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
This is a major disappointment, but I do think there is still a shred of hope. For one this is only the BMW Canada site not BMW Corporate. That does make it less "official". By the way, I'd like more clear instructions on how to get to the exact page - I couldn't find it.

Now all that being said, if the number is "official": There is no reason the M3 shouldn't beat the 8:09 time of the RS4 at least. Way better power to weight ratio, less drivetrain and parasitic power losses, more sorted chassis - should be an easy win. The other sub 8 minute RS4 time (not lised in the post above) was using special brakes and tires, I'm pretty sure. All vehicles are tested under the best conditions and with the best drivers possible. As many variables as possible are eliminated so the time reflects the best potential of the car much more so than any individual driver.

All you folks looking for these and other explanations - they are only excuses. If the time is official the car is a major let down, period.
Perhaps, but there is, of course, a difference between official and objective. If no-one is able to better this time, then I agree it will be dissappointing.

But before we get downhearted, don't forget that the 8:12 time is hardly objective.

BMW may well have its own reasons for going with this time, for instance, to match the widely quoted 8:09 of the RS4 would also appear to match the Sport Auto time for the M6. (BMW apparently added two and a half minutes to Nick Heidfeld's lap in his F1 car! http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=5293).

Once the car is released to the press, they will be queueing up to post lap times as well as to run head-to-head with the RS4.

Will the speculation finally end? I doubt it
Appreciate 0