Thread: BMW vs. Audi
View Single Post
      04-25-2012, 08:37 AM   #34
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

I think they are both great car makers. I prefer BMW because of RWD, living in TX I have absolutely no need for AWD. So I guess I prefer BMW. I think Audi's styling is more subdued and neutral, which I don't necessarily think is a bad thing. I have been blown away by their bigger classes of cars (6/7/8) they are amazing looking cars inside and out and classy.

My last car was a VW GLI and if my BMW is as reliable as the VW was I will be elated. I drive it about 13k miles out of warranty and I spent $600 on maintenance. I am hoping the BMW ages better than the VW, particularly on the inside. The buttons on the stereo for the VW had vinyl on them and it started to peel which looked very cheap, and the headliner was coming off at the C pillar. Overall though I loved that car. It wasn't "fun" like my new 1M but it was reliable, practical and had enough excitement for daily driving situations (2.0t w/ GIAC).

Hard to compare my GLI to the 1M, completely different classes. But the 1M gives 10x more excitement every time I get behind the wheel. My brother has a TT-RS on order, scheduled to arrive in July I believe. He drove my 1M and after a brief stint of wanting a 1M he decided to get something different and ordered its rival. I am excited to see how they compare. That 5cylinder turbo sounds angry (he is coming from a volvo s60r, which had the exact same engine layout).
Appreciate 0