View Single Post
      01-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Okay, I'll bite...

This is normal, even though it looks strange. The PS2s are asymmetric (there is a different tread compound and pattern inboard vs. outboard) but not directional (it does not matter which direction the tire travels). So all PS2s are the same--there is no specific left-side tire vs. right-side tire--so the outer pattern runs opposite on one side vs. the other (as does the inner pattern). As to why this does not create an issue, I have no idea--I'd like to hear a good explanation, too.

I first noticed this a few years ago with the PS2s on my former car. I immediately began checking out every sports car I could find to see if this was the case with their PS2s, too. I thought maybe I had incorrect tires on one side! Up until that point, I had only been familiar with symmetric, directional tires like the original Pilot Sport and the Bridgestone S03 Pole Positions. With those tires, there is no inboard vs. outboard, but there is certainly a correct direction of rotation!

Once you've noticed this, though, you'll see it everywhere. This asymmetric, non-directional pattern is also used on the OEM PZeros that came on my M3, and on the new Michelin Pilot Super Sports. In fact, I think that asymmetric, directional tires are pretty rare, since, if used in a staggered setup, there is literally a specific LF tire, a specific RF tire, a specific LR tire, etc. It makes for a very careful phone call when you need to replace one tire: "I need a 275/30-19 LEFT-sided tire..."

So it does seem weird that the tread pattern runs in different directions on one side of the car relative to the other with the PS2, PSS, PZero, etc., but I assume the engineers know what they're doing.
Appreciate 0