View Single Post
      11-14-2009, 03:09 PM   #7
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewired View Post
Since picking up my M3 several weeks ago about 20% of the time I keep hearing a sound from the right rear tire. I have made four trips to the dealer and they haven't found out what it is or suggested a solution.

When I first heard it I was in stop and go traffic and I looked over at a beat up pickup next to me and thought, "man that beater sounds bad!" It was only when traffic cleared that I realized it was me!

The sound is unrelated to hitting or releasing the brakes, but seems to start after hitting the brakes to a stop, and to only be there less than 20 mph. Jumping up and down on the door sills does not make the noise, so it isn't the shocks.

After my third trip to the dealer and them unable to reproduce the sound I called my dealer that last time I taped it, and he was able to hear it over the phone. He had me take the car down to the dealer and I played it for the mechanic who was unable to reproduce it, and he had the gall to tell me to bring it back if it did it again. I had to get to work, so didn't have time to argue.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
My wife's Mercedes made a sound like that a couple of years ago. It was a rear brake backing plate touching the rotor. Apparently, someone taking a wheel off had let the wheel slip and it had put a small bend in the backing plate, just enough to touch the rotor very lightly, resulting in the rhythmic squeaking sound like you're hearing. What was worse was that when it warmed up, it stopped doing it.

I found it by jacking the car up, taking the wheel off and pushing and pulling on the backing plate (they're quite thin and flexible). It was obvious that it was touching and I just bent it back to where it belonged with my fingers. Problem solved.
Appreciate 0