GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Sorry, but anyone who runs their winter tires all year long loses all tire review credibility in my book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
+1
Ha, well I know how you feel. Here's the deal:

I've lived in MN for 40 years and in that time I've tried a LOT of winter tires on a LOT of different cars. For the last 10 years I've had awd Audis: A4s, S4, Allroad, A6. The S4 with nokians was an absolute snow machine (on the roads, never tried off) Anyway ...

15 months ago, because of this board, I decided feck-it: I'm going back to my RWD days AND I'm buying a 'vert. So sight unseen I ordered an e93 M3 for ED.

Given the car wasn't coming back from Europe until winter the first thing I did was put on the Vreds; I wanted them because I wanted rwd performance in the dry and was willing to wheel spin up roads. I grew up with no traction control rwd in the snow 5 months/year so I wasn't afraid of some work there as the trade-off.

Then, 2 months after the car got the Minnesota I moved to San Francisco.

I had no idea what to expect here so I left the winters on. Once here I thought, what the hell, I'll just burn these feckers down before I swap back to the stockers, and, believe me, there are plenty of twin rubber marks around town

Thing is, Vredestein had other plans. The frickin tires won't wear down enough for me to justify swapping them back - and I'm checking every week! I have a tread depth gauge, etc

Now, would I get much better performance from my stockers? Hell, yeah. But I don't have the heart to pull off the Vreds until they've done their duty.

If they're still running strong in Feb then I'll have no choice ... I'll just have to do everything I can to ensure they don't make it

Last edited by GrussGott; 11-18-2012 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: Added Quotes
Appreciate 0