12-10-2012, 05:42 AM   #19
bvanderbilt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munit View Post
Your missing the point of the thread.

Unless you have driven a 1 series than you probably were under the impression that I was until I had a 1 series recently for a week. The interior room and seat width are so close to the 3 series that the difference is impercievable. I did say the backseat was smaller. But for 2 people upfront the difference is non-existent or not noticable.

The charts up above do not give any internal inside space measurements.

The point of the thread is given they can make a 1 series that is 400 or more pounds lighter than the m3 yet has almost identical front room space and seats, than why can't a smaller and lighter exterior m3 be built with a smaller external body and chassis like the 1 series.

People are demanding bigger inside the cabin and tech. I do not know if the M market is demanding bigger cars that have the same cabin room. That is the part I do not get.

If the 1 was quite a bit smaller inside than this would not be a question. It seems they got almost the same interior room in a car that is 400-500 pounds less and more nimble-really qualities the m3/4 strives for.
They made an M version of the 1- series. It's the 1M.

Compare interior volume + cargo capacity between the 1 and the 3. You get quite a bit more space at a modest weight gain. Personally the 1 feels too tight for me. I am 6'2" and the 3 is just right.

People talk about how nimble the 135 is but I was surprised to find myself disagreeing when I test drove it. Between relatively languid steering and awful delay on throttle tip-in the M3 actually feels far more athletic. Though I am sure those complaints are fixed with the 1M.
Appreciate 0