View Single Post
      07-15-2009, 03:43 PM   #61
John@BMW
I can't belive this car is a 4 door family sedan.
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 sedan, '96 M3

as a former BMW service advisor and long time BMW employee, I agree with the misinformation about bmw service intervals and how they are measured.

First off- your warranty ENDS at 50,000 miles. Your warranty period is from 0-49,999 miles. This means, if your motor blows at 50,000 technically BMW can tell you to take a hike. VERY unlikely but its possible!

CBS data is determined by MANY different factors. Yes there is an 'oil level sensing unit' that data is pulled from but also variables such as time, temperature, engine load, and mileage driven.

BMW does have a good amount of issues with corrupt cbs data and I have seen many customers come in at 30k miles for their first oil change because the cars CBS was WAAYYY off.

When I send my oil off occasionally to get it tested, they always come back that the castrol 10-60 oil is good for 4k to 6k miles- the bmw 5w30 for roughly 8k miles. That is just my results-

I have seen a lot of sludged motors from people who follow the normal oil intervals as per BMW.

on a side note- You ALL know about BMWs lifetime transmission fluid- You know that is BS, what about their "almost lifetime oil changes"?