View Single Post
      06-20-2010, 09:43 PM   #34
XiaoDeeDeee
Banned
Rep
Drives: e95 399is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in PA View Post
I realize this thread pertains to music, but....

http://teamlegendarygo.com/wp-conten...ate-vs-pay.png
Piracy is slightly a bit more complicated than that....allow me to explain

How "scene" piracy works is that there are groups who spend considerable time, resources, and dedication to release files for everyone's enjoyment. I'll explain it very quickly and try to refrain from using piracy jargon.

For example consider "100.Questions.S01E01.HDTV.XviD-LOL"

100 questions - release name
S01E01.HDTV.XviD - info/source/formate
LOL - group
you will find all scene releases conform to a rather strict form of file naming and encoding. Otherwise it will be "nuked" (aka there will be a note in the pre-database*** signifying why the release has not conformed to the scene standards of that particular section)

How this originates is someone on the east coast** captures the show, encodes, and immediately uploads to several private FTPs to which LOL is affiliated. Once the release is on all these FTPs, they will officially release (or "pre" in scene jargon) the show***. Thanks to IRC + scripts the show will be transferred via 100mbit/1gbit connections to thousands of other FTP servers. So, a tv show will be done in around 30 seconds. The "scene reputation": of a FTP Server ("site") will depend on how quickly a release gets to your site from the source. Of course, if you are on a site with which LOL has "pred" the release, you are likely on an extremely secretive European "TOP"site and fearing government authorities knocking on your door.

Every one of these "scene" FTP servers has several users. Some of these users will download the show and create torrents or FXP the show to a 100mbit torrent box****. Others will download the show and upload to usenet.

The slight problem here is that a torrent can be completed instantly. For usenet, as far as I know, unless there is some FXP protocol for transferring to usenet, you have to completely download a release before re uploading to usenet. This is a burden for many as to get a X264 encoded 1080p movie you'd have to download and then upload it.

For example:
Unthinkable.2010.Bluray.720p.DTS.x264-CHD was uploaded to usenet 11 hours ago.
It was available to scene users 3 days ago.
I'm sure it was available to torrent users the same time as scene users.

Or on occasion hacked directly from Satellite...which why you see NCIS Los Angeles released on Mondays when it airs on Tuesday

IRC bots will record the release into their databases, known as a pre-database or predb for short.

This how torrent sites with "private trackers" operate. These private torrent sites will have a few active members in the scene who FXP releases to their own 100mbit servers which will create a torrent for the masses to enjoy
Appreciate 0