03-29-2013, 10:50 AM   #201
surlynkid
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I think that's quite a leap to claiming that an NT01 may suddenly come apart and that anyone running NT01s are doomed. And you are willing to run conti scrubs aka used tires??? There are distinct signs when the tire begins to degrade. Its up to the driver to be smart and come into the pits. If anyone claims that their tire suddenly came apart and hit the wall...I'd call that 110% BS. The car started performing differently LONG before it came to that. The driver chose to ignore it and keep their foot in it. Same goes for most other issues...the question is will the driver own up to their ignorance?

For example. A driver has their LTW5 wheel breaks apart at all 5 spokes...outer rim separates from the hub while on the front straight at TWS. Didn't crash. The driver did acknowledge that he noticed a vibration from the front. Kept driving. He acknowledged the mistake and learned something. He could have just blamed the wheel but there were indications that the wheel was beginning to fail. Not saying that he was about to buy another set either...

From my earlier pics...I knew something was wrong, the back end was sliding around so I came in. Behold...I was missing a chunk. I'll be the first one to admit, I won't be getting long life out of any tires. Let's say I enjoy being well above the sweet spot of about 6% slip in the tires. But I can sure tell the difference between me inducing a slide and when a tire starts to degrade.

For the general public...If you can't tell the difference, you shouldn't even think about R-comps or slicks.
i am not saying that they are definitely going to come apart and you are doomed. the tire could catastrophically fail though. i have to run these types of scenarios at chemical plants. what is the worst case scenario, and what are the alternate scenarios. most folks seem to see the small line and then watch it become a bigger line. since there is a clear flaw in their manufacturing process due to some change they made (heat, pressure, raw materials, etc), then we really don't know what "might" happen. nitto has not owned up to the manufacturing flaw. if i was the plant manager at nitto where these were made, i would have a team of people all over this until they found the root cause and provided a corrective action. i am just throwing out hypotheticals. think about the recent 911 video posted here that suddenly lost pressure in the right rear and slammed into the wall. while any of these things can happen (an no you cannot predict that), why push a bad hand and gamble on what you know is already a problem with the tires. so far, you have been able to feel the problem and pit. that is good. you don't know if you always get such a warning. depending on what mechanism changed within their manufacturing process, everything is a possibility for now.
Stoptech 380mm/355mm | PFC08 / Pagid RS-29 | Akrapovic EVO - CF tips | Benvo Tune | MS UDP | AA air filter | MCS 2-way with 700/1000lb springs | Solid bushings and adjustable links | RD front swaybar | Apex EC-7 18x10 square 275/35-18 NT01 | Turner Race Studs | GT4 Brake Cooling | GT4 Power Steering Cooling | Alekshop Oil Cooler | Performance Steering Wheel | | CF Spoiler | Varis System 1 Full CF Diffuser | Extended Paddle Shifters | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | Turner Steering Rack Stops | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Appreciate 0