07-10-2009, 01:06 PM   #98
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subw00er View Post
Polishing a turd. Haha, I like that. For me, there were a few big advantages to using the stock exhaust, such as:
  1. I didnt have to spend $2500+ on an aftermarket one (or the parts to make one) then another $700 on the valve parts
  2. It retains some of the stock appearance (sleeper)
  3. I know exactly what I'm going to get when the valves are closed, because thats what was on before.
  4. It would seem to me that the service department would give me less of an issue than if I had a totally aftermarket exhaust, although when I spoke to my service department about that, they didnt seem to really care what I do to my car, so I guess this point is mute.
  5. Also, remember that the oem system was tuned by BMW to eliminate drone with the Helmholtz chamber. Now, I don't know if I've seriously affected the tuning of it with my mods, but there seems to be a good chance I haven't. I wont know till I fire it up, open the valves and drive, but it seems likely to me that apparent drone should be very minimal to nonexistant.
Yes, I agree there are many good reasons to stick with the stock system. It seems to meet your requirements just fine. Again for me personally I just can't stomach the huge weight penalty and poor aesthetics of the stock unit.

Like the rest of the project, the button work is fantastic. Would be a good option for me if I go a similar route except I already used one of those for the rear fog light mod.

Eager to see a video!
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0