View Single Post
      04-26-2009, 06:24 PM   #4
wolftrouble
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Just did the same thing yesterday: RS-19's and some new 600 temp brake fluid. I agree with you, sort of.

For me at least the brakes are softer at the top of the pedal travel, about the same or 'firmer' than stock at the bottom. I did a couple of hard stops (60 -> 20 or so) to see what would happen and was happy with the results, but also tried some mini-panic-stops (say, 50 -> 35), specifically trying to apply the same amount of braking pressure I would, for example, if I was on the freeway and traffic slowed suddenly.

For those I found it's a bit scary because it's hard to find the right 'bite' point - On stock it felt natural the whole way, with the RS-19's it's a much more abrupt transition from too soft to too firm. It's not that I couldn't slow quickly enough, it's that it was almost too much unless I caught it just right.

But I'm pretty sure this is just a combination of breaking in the pads and getting used to a different grip profile. As for squealing, I get a little bit at only one point in the pedal travel. I stop just a tiny bit harder at lights and such than I used to, and I only get a little squeakiness at the end - nothing bad at all. Did you use anti-squeal compound (or just high-temp grease) when you installed them?