Thread: E90 or E46 M3?
View Single Post
      03-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #73
johnsim
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Sedan

Garage List
2010 e90 M3  [0.00]
I very recently switched from an e46 M3 6spd to an e90 M3 DCT. I'm less than two weeks in, but so far my adjustment has been like this:

- Test drove a 6spd (I was impartial on transmission. Preferred 6spd, but intrigued by the technology): "holy crap this transmission sucks. Clutch too light. Too easy to drive. I miss the glorious battle of shifting my e46." - I believe this would have improved over time. This didn't deter me from the manual. I just happened to find a DCT that I liked first.

- First few times in my new (to me) DCT: "hmmm, this is fast and easy to drive, but not as involved as my e46. I feel the size. Where is the noise? Why doesn't it sound like I'm doing naughty things with this engine. It's loud, but smooth. Did I make a mistake here? No, intelligent people say this is the best thing on 4 tires. I must be missing something."

- as the days have gone on: "wow, this thing feels solid. Why did I put up with that cranky, notchy transmission? How could the steering feel this good? It's so precise that it makes up for the weight. My first gear is usable above 4mph!!! Did I really just accelerate that fast? Oh yeah, this is what interior technology is like."

Long story short after having some doubts it's growing on me extremely fast. I fully expect to lose all longing for my old e46 very soon. My only knock, that I believe will be lasting, is that the extra power means less occasion to be able to really rev out the engine on the street. I might even get over that once I get to the track a few times.
Appreciate 0