Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighandDry View Post
Before I bought a M3, I was looking at Porsches.

Almost pulled the trigger on a 997. Didn't really like the 991 as much. Yes it was faster, but at that level for a DD who cares (and yes I can afford the 991). Just felt that the 997 is a better platform.

Would anyone choose a 996 over a 993? The 996 is much faster and more modern, but very few who have driven both are going to pick the 996. Sure last of the air cooled, but it's more than that.

The same with the M3. It's not like people are priced out of the E9X (everyday there's some 19 yo buying one on this forum ). It's priced pretty low at this time for a used model. Some people just prefer the E46. Don't see why it's so difficult to understand that.
Exactly, good analogy.

In fact, for me... 964 > 993 > 997 > 991 > 996

Then again... from my perspective, a 981 Cayman S with a steering retrofit from a 987 Cayman may be the best car Porsche (or any car company?) has ever released. That car is damn near perfect. Just needs a bit more "I'm trying to kill you" factor....

My perfect care might be a 981 with 987 steering and 997 GT3 engine
... but need 4 seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
Well said not to mention the EDC feature plus many other setting on E9X M3 that E46 is missing, not so sure about 6MT but SMG is horrible on E46 slow & sluggish.
SMG is love it or hate it. It certainly is NOT an automatic. You have to work to make it smooth and fast-- it has to be driven like a manual from your right foot's perspective. That said, I prefer it to DCT for exactly that reason.

Then again, a 6mt has to be driven even more like a manual, so that's what I got, and is the only thing I want (in either car).

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3takesNYC View Post
Just because a lot of 19 year olds buy one, does not mean its in everyones price range, especially new. Even used ones can perhaps be bought but people then are often unable to afford cost of ownership, repairs that cost a lot etc. So an e90 m3 is not in everybodies budget I am afraid, new or used
It may not be in everyone's price range, but that doesn't mean it's the only reason people don't get it. As I said in the other post... In the last year, I've spent the price of a used 2008 e92 M3 on SuperSprint products on the two cars... and I've done other mods than that as well. Dropping it off today to have a lighter trunk (8 lbs!) painted--coupe grand to save a couple pounds (already have a heavier CF CSL trunk). In two weeks, doing a light weight stereo project on the car (as in, the focus of the stereo project is making the car lighter), also not cheap. As soon as I can locate one, I'll be ordering a CSL roof (It's currently NLA, but rumors are floating that BMW will be resuming projection... briefly)-- $3k for the part, another thousand or so for install.
(getting the car lighter is very much my focus at the moment, if it's not apparent-- my goal is to get it under 3100 lbs without compromising practicality (4 seats) or comfort)

It's hard to post it without sounding like an ass, but I think i could buy one if I wanted to . A used e9X M3 is a pretty cheap car now, and when the F30 comes out... it'll become significantly cheaper.

In a year or two, e46 and e9X M3 prices should be pretty close together-- couple thousand off. Then people will actually only be choosing by which car they like better!

That said, I absolutely agree that some people do by the e46 over the e9X because it's what they can afford.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport

Last edited by Obioban; 03-02-2013 at 06:06 AM..
Appreciate 0