View Single Post
      03-19-2011, 09:17 PM   #1
e92zero
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 BW

DIY: 6MT clutch stop mod

Hi Folks,

This is my first DIY so hopefully it's not too confusing.

Disclaimer: Modify your car at your own risk.

I have read up on a few of the clutch stop mod and they cost around $15-20 each so I decided to make my own with items from Home Depot and Lowe's. I have attached the pictures here.

1st pic: Bump stop/anti-skid pads. They come in package of 4.

2nd pic: Machine screw. #8 x 1 1/4. I have these laying around in the house and they have a relatively wide and flat head so it won't stick out pass the bump stop after you put it on.

3rd pic: Body panel grommets. They come in package of 2. You can find these at Lowe's or other hardware stores.

4th pic: Take out the pin from the body panel grommet and tap the grommet with the machine screw. Run the screw in and out a few times so that the grommet will have a working thread cut into it.

5th pic: Use a little double sided tape and attach 2 pieces of the anti-skid pads together back to back.

6th pic: This is what the clutch stop will be like in the final form.

7th pic: Summary of the actual parts that you will need.

Before putting the clutch stop in, you can attach the screw through the anti-skid pads and losely attach it to the grommet. This way, you can just pop the entire piece in and screw it tight with a screw driver. Because of the grommet shape, the clutch stop should center itself when you tighten it down.

I tried putting more washers in between the 2 anti-skid pads but the car wouldn't start so I have to take the extra washers out. YMMV obviously on this. You can also use a body panel press in plastic thingy instead of the screw and the grommet I used here. I just decided to do it this way because I feel it's more secured.

Other thread for reference: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ht=clutch+stop

The best part of this is the total cost is less than $6 for 2 clutch stops. If you have a friend that's close by, you can split this and the total cost is < $3.

I feel the clutch travel is much better and I can shift smoother after this mod. I have put 8000 miles on my car with no ill effect so I figure it should be good enough to post up for other people. Hopefully this will be useful for someone and let me know if I can present this better.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0