05-29-2009, 10:47 PM   #9
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3V8Driver View Post
Don't forget about gas mileage in the compromise equation. I think the two biggest variables when it comes to this are performance and gas milage. The cost difference between making a 9.5" wide wheel vs. a 10" wide wheel is negligible and anti-hydroplaning characteristics falls under performance (but is more of a tire trait than wheel width). Same with comfort.

The more performance-oriented the total package, the higher the cost and upkeep (see Ferrari, Porsche, etc.), and the lesser the waranty. I think a better question is why did BMW go with 1/2" widths at all (most brands go with widths on the whole number). I think BMW could have went with 18x9 and 18x10, 255/35 and 275/35 with very little ill-affect on gas mileage and comfort, and not much more cost.
1/2" widths are a non-issue. They obviously came up with the combo they thought would be best overall. We tend to forget that this forum is the most "radical" 10% of all owners. A major manufacturer cannot cater to our desires at the expense of their "average" customer. And frankly, it would be boring if they did. What would we have to talk about here if the car was perfect for our needs already? Even among this group there is a wide diversity from track fanatics to DD types. In the best of all worlds, I guess, you would be able to order the car exactly as you wanted it - ride height, tire & wheel size, all options, etc. That is not going to happen realistically in a production car; Ferrari or Lamborghini, I'm sure it's more possible.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0