02-15-2013, 11:33 PM   #78
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
To address some of the other stuff that has been mentioned in this thread, I would start by saying that physicians have been preaching the doom, gloom, and demise of medicine ever since I can remember. It still remains a very fulfilling, and financially secure profession. You may never become truly wealthy, but you will always be affluent. Very few professions and jobs will give this overall level of inherent job satisfaction and financial security IMO.

I am very much in favor of the employed physician model. It allows me to focus on being a doctor. The administrators deal with all the crap. I am paid a decent salary. It isn't top dollar, but it isn't bottom dollar either.

And for those of us who have saved a human life, what greater thing is there in this world that one could possibly do?
You should realize the doom and gloom is VERY MUCH different than in the past. The Government knows there won't be enough Physicians, so they came up with the term "healthcare provider" that cheapens a Physician and elevates an NP/PA to the Physician level. This is particularly concerning for PCP's.

As for employed Physicians, I'd have to disagree with you on that unless there's some provision for compensation based on productivity. I've worked at Kaiser and work with Physicians employed by major HMO's and there's a HUGE difference in how things get done. You have a LOT more productivity in private practice. The only down side is you guys a few bad apples who can't figure out when to discharge someone; and the hospital can't just fire them.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0