View Single Post
      02-04-2012, 02:12 AM   #1
Supa-Clean
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i Brooklyn/Mocha

What would you do? My BMW dealer OR BMW Financial Services breached privacy policy

Hey guys, I just wanted to see if I can get a few of your opinions on this issue.

So, today I got a random call from our accountant at work that - "some paperwork for your BMW is in the fax." I checked our fax and low and behold, the first page of my sales contract with my address, VIN, purchase price, etc etc had been faxed to us. There was no cover sheet, nor was there a number it was faxed from. I immediately called the dealer where I purchased the car (12/30/11 from Shelly BMW) and asked why my personal information was faxed to my work without my consent. After going round and round, they blamed BMW financial services as they were the only other people with my contract. After calling BMW Financial Services, they claim that no one has logged into my account on their database and there is no way that it was them.

Long story short, I ended up speaking with BMW North America and they are looking into this for me. So my question becomes...What would you do? I feel that this is an obvious privacy issue, and I have somewhat lost faith in the dealer/BMW to keep my information private. I was told over and over that "it's our policy not to send your information w/o consent blah blah blah" by the dealer, but then again, people disobey policies everyday. The next excuse was that "we don't even have your company's fax number"...yet as an internet marketer, I am all too familiar with how easy it is to find people's information online (They have my company's name, and our fax number is extremely easy to find from there).

Any thoughts on the matter are much appreciated