Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullrouted
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
He didn't leave it hanging, there is only one solution...... Adding clearance! Unfortunately adding clearance on the S65 or S85 involves removing the engine and having the crank journals ground to a diameter that will give you proper clearance. It will be a little more expensive to do this than a simple bearing swap, the thing is the bearing swaps will be an ongoing affair but adding the clearance will be a one time thing!
Has anyone actually done this to the S65? I was looking at the Dinan and RD stroker versions of the S65 for this reason. They have much better rods (and I assume, rod bearings) as well as lower compression rates for FI applications. I would be willing to bet their clearances are better as well, since the engines are blueprinted and bored. I don't think anyone has done an FI stroker build, but I would love to see it tried.
Dinan adjusts clearances on all of its strokers to 0.0019" on the mains and 0.0025" on the rods!

RD sport never used to adjust clearances but based on my information they are going to start doing so.

ESS has be using stock clearance until now but when building a LC engine they could have machine work done on the crank if requested!
So I guess doing a Dinan Stroker is one way to do a fix

http://www.dinancars.com/products/M-...-8-Engine.aspx

$25,000 + $20,000 deposit for the engine core exchange totalling $45,000.... Wonder if engine has to be running? Prolly cant exchange an engine that grenaded itself from the rod bearings...

I'll just wait for BMW to put out a TSB...
Appreciate 0