View Single Post
      05-13-2008, 10:43 AM   #53
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

With regards to the cell phone... I know everyone here has seen someone talking on the cell phone do something dangerous on the road. However, I have seen people not doing anything but driving do dangerous things on the road as well. I am not against the use of cell phones on the roadway, expecially with a hands free device and here is why. While flying a helicopter at 140 knots <50 AGL I am required to monitor and communicate on multiple radios while identifying, reporting, and eliminating threats. Now to think that the taxpayers who trust me with their hard earned money and possibly the lives of their childeren below me trust me to do that, but will not trust me to talk to my wife as I am driving home at the painfully slow posted speed limit rubs me the wrong way.

I know that the rules are made for the masses, but it is not the cell phone, it is the driver. Just like it is not the gun, it is the shooter. As a country, we need to change how we do things not the laws that limit us and impose on our freedom.