View Single Post
      08-05-2009, 06:32 AM   #24
HelenOster
United_States
Rep
Drives: Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
Amazon, b&h, adorama are reputable retailers.
Thanks for the recommendation - very much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
From an old thread I wrote on buying a camera....

You need to understand something in the camera industry called "gray market". It's equipment made in the same factory, but imported by someone other than the authorized agent for your area (Canon USA or Nikon USA in the US). This equipment can not be serviced at a factory repair location, but is generally cheaper. Your warranty is through the place you buy it, and you have no recourse with the mfg if you are not happy. Buyer beware, but you probably want to stay away from this equipment at first.

If you stick to retailers like Adorama, B&H photo, Amazon or Ritz/Wolf Camera, you'll be fine. You'll get good service and be treated with respect (usually ), but they are reputable.
I'd like to add to the above: always check reselleratings.com for customer feedback and reviews - BEFORE you part with your credit card details.

I'd also like to clarify the position re the "grey market", at least as far as Adorama is concerned.

"Grey market" refers to products imported directly into the US, rather than through the manufacturer's authorized agents / distributors. It is perfectly legal to directly import & sell these products in the US; the term "grey market" was coined by manufacturer's authorized distributors who wanted to discourage consumers from buying these (less costly) goods.

With no factory authorized middle-man involved in the import of these products, costs are lower, so the price is lower to our customers. Many items which are in short supply or not imported at all by the manufacturer's authorized distributors are available in direct import.

Any Adorama products which are being sold as such will be clearly marked, and you are more than welcome to contact me directly should you have any concerns regarding a specific listing.

There is no difference in the actual products. Occasionally manufacturers will name them differently for example the Olympus USA Digital Stylus Cameras are called Olympus MJU Cameras in Europe
On direct import products purchased from Adorama, we offer the same warranty as the USA warranted products carry for a period of one year. The only difference is that you would need to ship it to Adorama for warranty service.

I hope this helps, but please don't hesitate to contact me directly if you have any questions.

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com
www.adorama.com
Appreciate 0