View Single Post
      08-17-2011, 12:26 PM   #34
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinetman View Post
It wasn't that hard because I knew that is what needed to be done. Don't get me wrong, the Nissan is an amazing car and is the highest performing car I've ever owned. It would just have been hard to enjoy because of other things going on in my life.
I test drove a GTR 3 times and still chose the M3. Here's why:

The GTR has no soul.

By that I mean that while, objectively, it is better by the numbers, aside from the mind numbing acceleration, the subjective driving experience is superior in the M3.

The GTR interior is so-so at best. Materials are mediocre and the design is very 1980's. Not like my extended leather, sweeping lines, and real aluminum in the M3.

The steering on the GTR (or any AWD car for that matter) was just not as precise as the M3.

Ride in the GTR is really harsh. M3 has a much nicer ride/handling balance.

The clunky transmission noises in the GTR are just awful. Makes you think something is broken. The sounds are almost embarrassing for a car of this caliber.

Exhaust note is truly pitiful in comparison to even a stock M3.

The engine sound is also unpleasant. Loud turbos with no pleasing engine revving sound to speak of.

The exterior design, while supposedly functional, is an aesthetic nightmare.

Jeremy Clarkson said on an episode of Top Gear that the GTR was an "instrument for speed". That is all it is. It is a tool to go fast, with little character, no sexiness, and little subjective appeal.

There is no question that in terms of performance bang for the buck, the GTR reigns supreme in automotive world. For that relative bargain price, however, you lose virtually all the subjective things that make driving enjoyable also.

The M3 wins due to its gorgeous flowing exterior design with the just the right amount of extrovertedness added in, it's impeccable dynamics and responsiveness, it's glorious, instantaneous throttle response and wailing engine note, it's absolutely magnificent ride/handling balance and notably more upscale interior.