View Single Post
      06-28-2008, 12:11 AM   #58
IWC Doppel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

I am not sure why a stiffer spring would place higher accelerations on the damper ?

For a given bump the stiffer spring would move less and pass more load into the shell. The damper would accelerate less as it will be required to move less over the same bump. There will be more forces on top mounts etc but the damper should have less movement and hence acceleration.

I am still not sure what exactly EDC does other than adjust the bump and rebound settings. The interesting point about the dampers is how they adjust in comfort or normal where they are believed to adjust damping during operation. Maybe the acceleration point refers to the sensors and their impact on variable damper settings. But again in full setting it does not lessen the damping to provide a more comfortable ride, I assume this means that the damper is full stiff and cannot stiffen any further without revalving or other mechanical changes.

If I was a betting man I would suspect that driving on full stiff on poor road surfaces with stock springs would provide more wear than any setting with marginally shorter and stiffer springs on better surfaces.

I also wonder how the US vehicles might vary to Euro spec cars, possible the dampers have different settings. I do know that a lot varies between US and Euro market specs for BMW's and Porsches.

What are peoples views of ride and feel in mid vs Full EDC for example ?

Accepting that subjective comment is only that
Appreciate 0