04-02-2013, 07:19 AM   #46
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
No, it will get substantially better mileage because the torque of the LS7 enables gearing that is more efficient..
Actually I've checked for the Camaro, and no it doesn't. It's very similar to the M3.

Quote:
All engines and everything manufactured by every automaker is made to a price point.
Not exotics. McLaren or Ferrari don't really care how much their engines cost to manufacture. The amount of power and torque they produce are limited more by practicality reasons, such as the need to last a certain number of miles without a rebuild, or the need to comply with emission laws. But price is irrelevant.

Quote:
Save the fanboy stuff for someone else because I don't subscribe.
Well, all I did was respond to a specific comment made about the LS engines. By insisting here without any substantiated evidence it is you who are playing the fanboy, for the other side. I'm just the reality check.

Quote:
Don't believe it, try and find an engine from another automaker that is equally sized and of equal weight that can deliver the same economy while producing the same power as installed in another car. Any car, any price, any engine. You will fail.
Who cares about the size of the engine in this conversation? it was repeatedly brought up as an argument that the 4L capacity on the S65 is some sort of artificial limit due to regulations or tax laws or whatever, and that the only thing that should matter are the performance metrics: power, weight etc. and now fuel economy was brought up as the most important element.

I could point out that a Porsche 911 or Cayman has the same or better performance, from a much small capacity engine, and equally good fuel economy. I imagine a number of modern turbocharged engines from various manufacturers also qualify.

It's not really as unique as you make it out to be.

Quote:
I personally would not buy any Chevy except the Corvette and think that GM has done some of the worst cars made in recent history but I still have to recognize that their V8 development is now producing some truly great engines even if they don't have an important badge on them that makes them palatable to some folks here.
I don't really care about the badge, it never ever enters into my buying decision. I admit that Chevy makes some good engines, even a couple of great ones. But they simply aren't cutting edged as claimed.

So you can relax, and enjoy a Vette without having to make up some phantasy about it.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i

Last edited by adc; 04-02-2013 at 07:24 AM..
Appreciate 0