11-04-2008, 08:53 PM   #119
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
None of this really answers the question of why the humble S3 with it's modest awd system by the GTR's standards, not mind blowing acceleration by similar PTW 335i's standards, poor weight balance, manual gearbox, normal suspension and tyres can pull off the kind of result only the GTR can better.

In fact this puts more credibility to the stock GTR claims of a 7:29 and the car not being a ringer after all.
I would call this an argument ad absurdum. You can not prove a model invalid nor justify the over performance of particular vehicle with the existence of another single outlier. There are many aspects of the GT-R that contribute to it being an over performer and indeed there are not many features that contribute to the S3 being an over performer. If you think this in any way affects the validity of the regression model or of the GT-Rs N'Ring time occuring with 100% accurate specs you are way off base.

Outliers point to many possibilities: mistakes, low probability events, immense alignment of many improbable events, false specifications, a ringer, etc.

I would bet if one bothered to dig closely and deeply enough the S3 over performance could either be explained or shown to be not repeatable.
Appreciate 0