View Single Post
      09-07-2007, 11:28 AM   #9
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI6 View Post
Also, many if not almost all the other cars you mentioned have "creature comforts."

There will always be a contingent of people who prefer say, the E30 M3 with it's raw, visceral driving experience.

Nothing wrong with that.

But, today's cars are being built to match today's buyers. Most, but certainly not all buyers are looking for an incredible GT car- which the new M3 is. So the market dictates what the "M" division makes, and this is true for all brands. For those who want more of a raw track car there will always be mods, and CSL's out there.

I do agree that in some ways the "M" spirit has diminshed somewhat, and if you want these cars nowadays they only seem to come at an incredible price- and to me that is a shame.........But again, this is due to the market and what people are willing to pay and what they want. Basic Econ 101.....
I agree with you. My point is more about my concern with the direction the M Division is heading. Others might prefer this direction. I just think M is watering down their motor sport status with the sports car enthusiast. We have the 3, 5, and 7 series to take care of rest of automotive world.
Appreciate 0