07-02-2008, 04:19 PM   #8
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
I just think it casts the wrong impression. Brand new car and already "modded".

It all just depends on the dealership really....some are cool with it, some have a fricken cow! (eg: one poster had super blue brake fluid in his car and the dealer noted that he had "racing fluid" installed) Tell me that does not leave a mark on your record for future issues.....
That's fine and possible, but what I'm saying is that you will take the car back for service in a year, maybe earlier, and they can make the same observation then as well (less than a year old car and modded already) and you'd be in a similar situation. So, no point in delaying minor mods if you are determined to mod IMO. The exception is the point I raised above. You want to make sure there is nothing wrong with you car before you bolt stuff on so that you reduce the chance of haggling with the dealer if something does go wrong, but that depends on the nature of the mod. For instance, wheels should not be a problem.

I agree that different dealerships might have different takes on mods. I spoke with a few guys at the dealership about modding and tracking when I bought the car, and they were extremely cool with it. So I suggest speaking to them first to find out more about their attitude, and if they won't be friendly in that regard, maybe going to another dealership.