View Single Post
      05-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #60
mlambert890
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 DCT Coupe

The M3 is my 5th BMW, but I still drove it first.

Personally I have learned to *never* buy a car without first test driving. Great that so many here dove in blind and ended up happy, but for me I've just had too many huge surprises over the years.
  • Had a deposit and PPI done on a 2001 Lotus Esprit. Drove it and my dreams were shattered. Ill always love that car but never want to drive one again
  • Test drove Gen 1 Viper GTS, Gen 2 ACR and SRT 10 and in each case discovered that, again, they were cars I could just never own.
  • Owned a C5, but test drove a C6 Z06 just to see if the uberness of it could override all of the things I just never liked about the C5. Turns out nope, absolutely not.
  • Test drove the FR-S and learned that while I really do love "light and tossable", and like the BR-Z/FR-S a whole bunch, it's just not 'me' at this stage of my life and there is also (for me) a point of "enough power" and "not enough power".
  • Test drove a classic MKIV Supra Turbo, taking as a *given* that I would definitely trade my (at the time) 1998 NSX for it only to learn that there was *no way in hell* I was making that particular trade.
  • Test drove E46 M3 back in 03 considering trading my 01 330xi in and ended up being hugely underwhelmed
  • Took a lap in a late model Mustang GT at a PDE day and it ended up being the longest lap of my life. Couldnt wait to get out of that thing

I think its really wise to take a drive before spending 10's of thousands of dollars honestly. You don't need a hot lap around Le Mans, but at least just to make sure you like the seating position, visibility and "feel" of the car that you are about to commit to living with.

I find that the consensus opinion of others is *somewhat* helpful, but ultimately pretty meaningless when it comes to the subjective things (that matter a ton to me), for me personally. Having driven a whole bunch of different cars there have just been too many times where "BEST CAR EVAAAAAAR!!!!" according to the masses becomes "never again!" for me.

Then again there are plenty of people who still get married before having sex with each other too right?

Last edited by mlambert890; 05-08-2013 at 08:47 PM..
Appreciate 0