View Single Post
      01-26-2011, 04:09 PM   #9
U235
23 BMW X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Polestar Engineered
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Pole*

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Don't do that buddy; too abusive for the clutch and drivetrain. Best way to test slippage is by momentarily flooring the gas pedal in 5th gear at 2K rpm. If tach needle is steady, no slip. A weak clutch definitely starts slipping first, and that slippage is what causes the smell. But the slippage first starts at high loads, like described above. It's not going to leave you stranded all of a sudden, but it gets progressively worse over time.

I can definitely tell clutch smell from brakes, but they're similar. If you can only smell it on the left side, it's probably not the clutch. And yes, that caliper can have a problem. Our expensive cars have a ONE PISTON calipers all around, so if the inner pad is not sliding freely, it could be stuck, and wearing badly. I'd raise the car from the middle front, check that both wheels move freely, and remove wheels to investigate pad condition. You could have a dealer do it, but they'd probably charge you. Aks first. Plus you can clean and lube things there yourself. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Yeah the smell is so faint it's hard to distinguish brakes vs clutch, but it doesn't have that sweeter smell that clutches sometimes provide.

Yes the 4th gear start is rough on it, but it was a one-time thing so no issue there. I've floored it in high gear on low load (2-3k rpm), no issues there.

I'm going to drive home tonight (where using engine braking I can pretty much drive without using brakes). I'll measure the temperature on both front rotors and see if there's a noticeable disparity. If so, I think that's means enough to have the dealer look at it. If it is contacting, it's ever so slightly because the smell isn't so bad and there doesn't appear to be a pull although my time on the hwy has been limited to 1 mile stretches and I didn't notice any particular pull.

Thanks for all your input, I REALLY appreciate it! I'll keep you posted of course.
Appreciate 0