01-26-2011, 03:57 PM   #8
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by U235 View Post
I'll try starting in third to see if there's any slippage
Don't do that buddy; too abusive for the clutch and drivetrain. Best way to test slippage is by momentarily flooring the gas pedal in 5th gear at 2K rpm. If tach needle is steady, no slip. A weak clutch definitely starts slipping first, and that slippage is what causes the smell. But the slippage first starts at high loads, like described above. It's not going to leave you stranded all of a sudden, but it gets progressively worse over time.

I can definitely tell clutch smell from brakes, but they're similar. If you can only smell it on the left side, it's probably not the clutch. And yes, that caliper can have a problem. Our expensive cars have a ONE PISTON calipers all around, so if the inner pad is not sliding freely, it could be stuck, and wearing badly. I'd raise the car from the middle front, check that both wheels move freely, and remove wheels to investigate pad condition. You could have a dealer do it, but they'd probably charge you. Aks first. Plus you can clean and lube things there yourself. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Appreciate 0