View Single Post
      01-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #7
U235
23 BMW X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Polestar Engineered
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Pole*

Just FYI, after spending more time with it and consulting some friends, the smell only permeates from the driver side front tire area. It also may not be sweet enough of a smell to represent clutch, it actually smells more like brakes. I'm wondering if I have a brake pad that's slightly rubbing or something.

Any suggestions on further diagnosing that.

Last night I drove it kind of hard, hammering it in 2nd and 3rd gear. There was no slipping and the clutch just grabbed and it went like a bat out of hell. Also, I started the car from a dead stop in 4th gear with good feel so I think the clutch is probably fine, but now I'm considering something causing the front left brake to smell.

Again, it's not a super significant smell and it never permeates into the car, it just is noticeable from the drivers side when you get out (faintly noticeable). Also, with the hood popped, you can only really smell if if you come in on the drivers side of the bay.

Is such a brake/pad sticking common or even possible? It's not stuck down causing the car to slow down excessively or generating any real significant heat so it could be just barely rubbing, or perhaps it's just normal.
Appreciate 0