View Single Post
      01-25-2011, 05:43 PM   #5
U235
23 BMW X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Polestar Engineered
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Pole*

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Well, with only 8K miles, abuse would most likely be the cause, but it wasn't inflicted by you. I'm assuming you bought the car from that dealer, right? If so, just document your issue IN WRITING, and also try to get IN WRITING that you'd get a new clutch once if bad, even if it was abused by the previous owner and/or test drivers (most likely scenario). But do it NOW, or you'd find out how quickly people forget what they said . Or how quickly people change jobs. With that paper on hand, I wouldn't worry about it too much, but it's definitely not normal to smell that IMO.
Bought it from a different dealer, not associated with BMW so I could be out on my own on this one.

Hopefully it goes away on its own, but I've driven 30 miles since I got it and it still smells each time I drive so I'm not sure what's going on, if it's stuck or worn too bad. If it goes, it goes I guess.

Having never gone through this, and really never replacing a clutch in my life with the exception of a car I boosted and just had too much power for the stock clutch, I'm not sure if worn clutches just start smelling before they go (no smelling before they go). Usually in friends car you feel slippage and then replace it, so I'm not sure if this is an indicator of it going out, or just short-term smelling from test drives, etc.

Thanks for the convo
Appreciate 0