View Single Post
      01-25-2011, 02:40 PM   #1
U235
23 BMW X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Polestar Engineered
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Pole*

2008 M3 Faint Clutch Smell

I just got an 08 e90 sedan with 8500 miles. I have less than 50 miles on the car myself, and I noticed when I park it after driving it, that there's a faint clutch smell.

I had inquired at the dealer on why the car had a faint burning clutch smell after driving it (hard or even babying it). The dealer said they could smell it, but wouldn't be too concerned, it's probably me figuring out the car. I kind of am a bit concerned with that as I'm sure it's not me. I've driven 25+ stick cars and never slip or burn the clutch up. It's also a very faint but noticeable smell, not like when someone who really burns up a clutch.

He said just to keep driving it and see if it gets better/worse/stays the same. He said I am entitled to 1 free clutch replacement under service/warranty, but they won't just replace it for the sake of it so I risk if they investigate it further now and find it's just driver error, they'll have to charge me for the diagnostics, etc.

Is this normal? I do double clutch downshift from time to time, and I suppose it's possible I'm still feeling it out, but it's not something I've really had an issue with on a number of cars including many sports cars.

Cheers,
Brian

PS - Car's a delight otherwise!
Appreciate 0