View Single Post
      10-26-2010, 09:13 PM   #30
MudPhud
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP,E70 X5 V8,F15 X5 V8

adc,

I'm glad you're finding tweeter settings that are more and more to your liking. My original goal over the summer was to boost the bass which is so lacking in the base/standard audio. After reading threads I realized that just replacing the OEM subwoofers with SWS-8Xs wouldn't be enough (since they're inefficient and need extra power). So I knew I would have to get an aftermarket amp. Then I thought, well, since the amp is new, might as well upgrade all the speakers, too. Right now, the bass is definitely improved, voices and notes are extremely clear, and quiet passages are silent. Did the hisses and pops you mention exist with your OEM amp, or just the aftermarket one? And does it matter what volume the headunit is set at? I, personally, don't hear any new audio noises, hisses, crackles, or pops. Is your 'Remote In' via Technic's harness/relay or are you tapped in at the ignition?

99% of the time I'm listening to MP3s via a USB flashdrive. Is there any way to have the OEM headunit scroll the display so that the whole title appears as opposed to just the first fifteen characters?

quality_sound,

Yeah, I'm definitely stretching the lower limits of the 4" and 5.25" drivers, but I can't shake myself from the psychological notion of 'gypping' myself of low notes since the SWS-8Xs aren't great at midbass either. Even at the expense of sound accuracy, I figured that as long as I fall within the manufacturer's frequency specs that I'm not harming the speakers. Is this correct?

Jaya3666,

These are the 'StreetWires' male-to-male RCA adapters I'm using:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=263-386
Tons of other folks make them, too, but just in case you were wondering. The 4 AWG amplifier wires are from 'Kicker' (09PK4 kit). I don't think they're shielded. Good luck pinpointing that whine. Which ground location did you choose? The OEM post situated on the left rear wheel well (Fig 14) is conveniently located.
2011 BMW E70 X5 V8TT Titanium Silver | Black/Walnut
2002 BMW E46 330i Topaz Blue | Gray/Aluminum | 5-speed | Sport (retired)
Appreciate 0