View Single Post
      06-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #18
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92zero View Post
I've been following all these bearing issue threads. For some of us with older engines, the bearing wear probably already happened and switching to a thinner oil at this point might not help much? I wish there is different size bearings that we can order instead of having to have the crank machined. This really sucks. Anyone willing/want to do a DIY on the steps to do a spot check on the bearings in our beloved S65? I have long commute every weekend and as the above poster said, having the anxiety of my engine 'grenading' any moment isn't fun.

I know VAC has a coated bearing package for sale but BMRLVR has pointed out that probably not gonna help. Since VAC is already having the bearings coated, wouldn't it be possible for them to machine down the bearings first before coating it? Or this is not possible at all and I am way out in wishful thinking land?
I've said this in pretty much every thread about rod bearings and I'll say it again. When you change your oil, send a sample to Blackstone to get it analyzed. It's like $25 each time (every 7500 miles).

1) If oil analysis comes back and shows no bearing issue, why bust the engine open to change the bearings unless you are going FI?
2) As mentioned in every thread, the tolerances are very tight in these engines. However, there's also a good chance your engine is perfectly fine too.

Now if your oil analysis came back with high lead count, then that's another subject
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0