View Single Post
      03-10-2014, 10:22 AM   #169
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Thanks to everyone here, and especially W///. I was afraid that pulling the bar off would bend the levers it was attached to. But I used a little screwdriver and popped it off. Needless to say the job was a success. I cleared the SES with my cheap little OBD tool and now no SES or other lights, and more importantly, no limp mode.

A few observations:

1) The only hex tools needed are 6mm and 10mm. I was surprised that I didn't have to save any loose hardware for this. For the 10mm bolts for the airbox and coolant expansion tank I just screwed the bolts back in the hole so they would not get lost.

2) I had all the torx sizes in my tool set, except T-30. And T-30 is what is used to bolt down the actuator. Instead of buying a T-30 screwdriver I bought a 1/4 socket end and used a 6" and 3" extender to get down to the bolts. Be careful when backing them out and use the magnet to get them out. I kept the torx end on the bolt until I maneuvered the magnet onto the bolt. Similarly, I was very careful putting the bolt back in with the magnet.

3) I popped the connector bar on the control shaft first and left the other end attached to the actuator until I got it out. It helps being on there to get the actuator out. Just be careful not to let the arm get pinched somewhere in the tight quarters. It was a pain pulling the actuator out. The new goes in with less trouble.

4) I stressed about getting all the electrical connectors plugged back in. There was one left hanging that had me worried until I remembered that it plugs into the air plenum.

4) I used a rubber mallet as a fulcrum and a screwdriver as a lever to push up on the front of the air plenum when taking it off. Pictures are coming. It wouldn't budge by me pulling up on it, but using the lever was a breeze.

5) Getting the plenum back on was similarly a PITA. I had my son help me. This is about the only thing you need another person for. However, he did help by holding the flashlight for me when reaching the back throttle bodies when the plenum is on, both for taking it off and putting it back.

Cheers.