Mookster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 ZR1 & 2020 Supra GR LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
From someone who transitioned from the E46 to the E9X-here's my thought:

If you're ready to deal with the following issues-then go for it:
  • VANOS Hubs/Bolts (High probability to break)
  • Rear Subframe Failure
  • Peeling door panels
  • Cracking quarter window seals
  • Leaky rearview mirror
.....and many others. I'm not saying I experienced all of this but I did go through at least 3 of these problems. These are common problems experienced by E46 M3 owners. Preventative maintenance is ridiculous on that car simply because BMW or its vendors F'd up at the factory.

2001-2003 models were plagued by rod bearing failures (these were addressed by BMW during warranty/TSB recall)
2004-2006 models had a high frequency of VANOS related failures and rear subframe issues.

In terms of design-its timeless. The engine is epic (provided it doesn't blow up). Keep in mind the S54 engine will never sound as good as the S65. However compared to the any other 6 cylinder engines in its time-S54 is the one to have. Its an exercise in excellent 'engine'ering..where BMW screwed up was in the small details such as the nuts/bolts that keep the whole thing moving.

My suggestion is to stick with the E9X models partly because I'm biased but mostly because from all accounts thus far-its a better built model.
You learned all that on the forums, didnt you?