View Single Post
      04-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #14
rogers08m3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrewt View Post
Thanks for putting the time into that comment.

I've also read a thread where it was explained as: "Water-based products will pull contaminates off of the polyurethane and leave nothing behind. Oil-based products like Leatherique will remove contaminates, but it will also dry against the polyurethane. You're essentially trading contaminates on the surface for oil. I know people go crazy for the "leather smell" that Leatherique gives, but normally treated leather shouldn't have any smell, let alone a "leather smell." Leather should be fragrance, contaminate, and oil free. Nothing between your rear-end and the polyurethane."
Interesting - I have never really thought leatherique had a leather smell, smells more like brandy to me. In any event it is an interesting discussion. I am mostly going on my experience and speaking with leather upholsterers. The ones I have spoke with all swore by leatherique (and recommended against traditional conditioners), which was good enough for me. Then again maybe we are talking more about cleaners and not conditioners, in which case (as I mentioned above), I would stick with something ph neutral, or even better, just use steam/vapour.
Appreciate 0