12-03-2009, 02:14 PM   #9
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
This is good advice. I've been a motorcyclist for over 35 years (dirt bike at age 11) and have been street riding for 27 years (over 100,000 miles). What no one has yet mentioned is riding a motorcycle in traffic is ENTIRELY different than driving a car in traffic. Having a 1000 GSXR with no riding experience and getting into a situation that will lead you to panic (every new motorcyclist does) is a recipe for injury or death. Get a 600cc standard and take the MSF rider course and take a slow progression on learning how to ride on the street. A good motorcyclist has a good attitude, extreme confidence, and excellent skills that he builds over time.
Well said. I have about 40,000 street miles under my own belt. Motorcycling is indeed a constant learning experience and what you said about traffic is correct. I tried to touch on that with the "Control your wrist" comment the other gentleman made, but just adjusting your wrist because it's sore/stiff could send you hurdling into the car in front of you. Modern sportbikes have enough power to literally throw you off the back if you chop the throttle. Check youtube and watch how many videos there are of sportbikes flying into the back of cars. Those are guys on bikes bigger than they should be on, and garaunteed every one of them would have told me I was stupid or a pussy for suggesting they're on too big of a bike 10 min before their wreck.

Always have respect for your motorcycle, because as soon as you loose it, you'll wreck.

Having said all this, OP, motorcycling has been one of the greatest experiences of my life thus far. Not only for the sport, but also for the community involved with it. Good luck!