10-31-2011, 08:55 AM   #118
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-M3 View Post
This has probably been discussed before but thought I would ask.....

Has anybody used the stock OEM 18" wheel/tire combo as a full size spare, especially on long trips?? I was thinking, maybe the rear wheel/tire (18*9.5 wheel with the stock 265/40 tire, but an all season tire) will make a good full size spare to carry around, especially on long road trips.

I went for the rear wheel because, in case you have a rear wheel flat, then putting the front wheel/tire size on the rear may interfere with the proper working of the rear differential, given the different circumferences.

Any of you happen to know if the rear wheel/tire combo - if installed on the front for temporary use in case of an emergency - has sufficient clearances for the front, to avoid any sort of rubbing onto the surrounding structures??
I was thinking about carrying a spare OEM 18" rear tyre for the annual long road trip around Europe but wanted to take it a step further by running a OEM 219M rear wheel square setup. So from a fitting perspective it has been done. The weight and space consumption as eluded to already is however a massive downside.