View Single Post
      04-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #47
alms211
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
There isn't 6 seconds between those drivers. Stop kidding yourself. Besides, that 997S was without Sport Chrono but did have PASM. Sport Chrono makes an appreciable power difference across the rev range, although peak is the same. But before we split hairs all day, the bottom line is the M3 would be faster on the straights whereas the 997S will be quicker cornering and under braking, and coming out of corners. Keep in mind also this car was around when BMW still had 2 model years of production remaining on the E46 M3. BTW, the power package '08 997S .1 posted a 7:50, same as the '09 997S .2. Just shows what 30 more hp will do. A '05~'08 997S + IDP plenum ($900) = 383 hp. What holds back the .1 is the intake efficiency. Easily remedied.
You people with these 'Ring times are just laughable. Do you really think that anybody on these forums (save for perhaps a Leh Keen) is really going to drive a car to the extent they can tell a 6 second difference on a 13 mile course? Hell, I'd bet 90+% of the people on these forums that have "performance" cars NEVER see a track. Whats the big damn deal of 6 seconds over an 8 minute/13 mile span of road? Do you really think ANYBODY here arguing these points can "make that much of a difference"? It really is laughable because it all comes down to magazine racing.

I have a great idea......buy and drive what the hell you like and feels good to YOU and respect what others like. I really couldn't care less what lap times my car gets because 1) I'll only be in a position to where I can test its limits about 2-3 times per year; 2) It is, after all, a street car and 3) no matter how good I may think I am with it, there is always someone that is better with less car.
Appreciate 0