View Single Post
      08-10-2008, 09:11 PM   #43
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
I do break it in,but not by the manual.The 2000 km recommended breakin is usually about 5-10% of the life of the cars time in my possesion as I usually average a new vehicle a year.The biggest thing for the 1st bit is to very anal about being oil temps being fully warmed up before large rpm & loads.I have been breaking in my cars like this for over 30 years with no issues except for 1.That was a 454 Suburban that my wife drove for the 1st 1000 kms of its life and was driven slowly and used a litre of oil every 750 kms.I got a new dropin under warranty and broke it in as normal and it used a liter every 5000 kms after the new engine.

How long do you keep your vehicles for? A new car a year, I imagine once the warranty is up on a car you would ditch it, if you haven't yet already.

Which leads me to conclude that your system is not at all meant for anyone planning on keeping this car for more than 5 years. A similar situation can be said for your buddy who builds those V8s. I'm sure he isn't building and breaking them in for average cars that will see 100k+ miles of use. BMW tested this car for all likely conditions, and all driving styles. The manual that comes with the car explaining the slower more conservative break-in procedure is backed by the BMW warranty.

If I had to choose between using BMW's recommended method, and yours... well the choice is clear. No offense, but if you are going to recommend something that is so drastically different from the norm, it would be nice to have more evidence and refences than just your "friend" who also builds V8s.

For all we know, he might not even be that great at building them. You never posted up pics of any trophies.

Anyways, I'm not attacking you or saying your lying even. Just pointing out that though you seem to know your shit, your still just a guy posting on a forum and I'd hate to see the OP ruin his $68k car because of this. Especially since I'm sure you won't guarantee your method with a warranty equal to that of BMW.