View Single Post
      03-02-2011, 11:02 AM   #6
roninsoldier83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 128i 6MT / AP2 Honda S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMD View Post
The SS has an LS3 Corvette motor. In the 6 speed it is rated at 426HP. In the auto it is rated at 400HP.

I have tussled with a couple and had no problem but, like any LS3 equipped car, the SS is quite easy to tune to over 500HP for a couple of thousand dollars. If you were running a Procede and it was close, he probably had something aftermarket.

Out of all the muscle cars, the 11 Mustang GT is the one to worry about.
If I'm not mistaken, only the 6-speed manual comes with the LS3, whereas the auto has a different engine code designator (L99 if I'm not mistaken).

Either way, while the new 5.0 Mustang is potent for sure, some publications have been pulling higher trap speeds in the LS3 powered Camaro:

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezfl...07775a541f.pdf
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

I've driven both, and while they have similar peak power numbers (426hp vs 412hp, with the Stang having a lower curb weight to help offset differences in peak power), with the LS3 having a bit more of an advantage in the torque department, the big 6.2L really feels stronger all around IMO. Granted, it's a larger displacement pushrod motor, so low end torque is expected to be stronger (it is), that motor just gives the impression of having a larger overall usable powerband. Whereas in comparison the 5.0 feels more like a high revver (32V DOHC motor with VVT on both sides, it's to be expected).

With that said, I prefer the chassis of the 'Stang as well as the visibility (no joke, the Camaro's visibility really is horrid all around), but with publications and private owners trapping at 111+mph in stock form with the new SS (at sea level of course), it's no joke.

Just my $.02