View Single Post
      01-07-2013, 10:40 PM   #50
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93S65 View Post
Sorry to resurrecting this thread , but I am very dissappointed in my MY'13 E93 M3 performance. I can't even break the rear wheels loose in S5, +sport, and traction control off. The DCT in 2nd Gear also has way too much hesitation......yea, I read the post on this issue and yes I have the latest firmware......

I came from an E46 M3 Convertible, SMG that could smoke rubber all day long.

I've had the engine over 5500 RPM and honestly in the M3, it's hard to tell a "huge" difference over my X5's 4.4l.

- I can't stand how long it takes for the DCT to engage from a dead stop (regardless of setting) - it definitely feels like there is too much slipping when engaging 1st. . . and wouldn't you know that the dealer says this is "normal" - .

Glad to see that I'm not the only E46 Convertible owner who feels this way, as I agree with literally every point that you made (I'm the OP of this thread). I have some suggestions for you:

1) I can't comment on breaking the rear wheels loose but I can tell you that it doesn't seem like it would be hard to do, at least not with the Continentals that I got (which is the problem!).
2) DCT 2nd - 100% agree. Horrible lag at very low RPMs (ie. when coasting through a stop sign). Solution - downshift to 1st. Unlike SMG, the car will shift without any hesitation and clunkiness and you'll be in the right gear. There's too little torque in 2nd at the low end so the car needs to be in 1st. It's annoying but you get used to it...
3) DCT engaging in 1st - I completely agree. 2 Solutions: Be sure you're not sitting too close to the gas pedal. I find that if I'm giving too much gas in 1st then it takes much longer to engage - I'm talking about anything over 1,100 RPMs. The other solution, which I am now used to, is to push gas in and then let off slightly to the let the clutch engage and then push down again. If you time it right then there will be 0 lag. It's a pain in the ass compared to SMG, which worked fantastically getting into 1st, but it's just what you need to do with DCT. Once you get used to it it's not that bad but it take a little while to perfect it.
4) Drives like your X5. I think what you probably mean is the car is just too smooth and not involving enough, which was my MAJOR complaint. Solution: Get an exhaust mod (I got the OEM Exhaust Mod - Non Perforated). My car literally went from boring and disappointing to a LOT of fun, engaging, and frankly a little too loud at times! Trust me - this can make all of the difference. It's the first time I have ever modified a car and the difference is almost unbelievable. If you're in Los Angeles I would be glad to give you a ride so you can hear the difference - PM me.
5) Feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss any of this phone, as I'm glad to help and I know where you're coming from.

Hope all of this helps. I absolutely agree with all of your complaints but thankfully there are solutions to all of them!
Appreciate 0