03-05-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLzZz View Post
Hi board as I am coming closer to ordering my m3 I am compiling a LONG list of mods to order or commit myself too. So I am asking for anyone's educated guesstimate on the power I plan to add to the car. Here goes the list after many long hours of research.

m3 dct

1 - Dinan flash
2 - Dinan pulley
3 - Gintani Race fully catless xpipe etc...
4 - (possibly) Dinan 4.10 gears I believe for the dct im still looking into this mod
5- Undecided airbox/intake

With that list what are everyone's guestimattes of power bump compared to stock?

I will give my reasoning for each mod choice.

The dinan flash I am choosing for multiple reasons. One is the nice reassurance you get with them. Also why pay 900 for a flash then when BMW reflashes the system I have to go threw all that trouble of getting my (powerchip) flash back. I have seen it happen in the case of Dinan the dealer just gets a new email from Dinan and it gets re installed free of charge.

The Dinan pulley is another I want to keep my warranty per say

The Gintani Race I like the loud very loud and I like the black tips and how they fill the rear valance

The gears I want to add that low TQ but don't know the advantages to disadvantage. If someone could fill me in on that in detail I would appreciate it.

Thank you in advance
Well, first you have to understand that your actual HP/TRQ increase will depend on what your baseline HP&TRQ numbers are now.

So before you modify anything on your car...go get a couple of baseline dynos done at a local shop first.

Use that same dyno once all your mods are done.

That way, you can actually see what the HP&TRQ difference is after all your aftermarket performance parts have been installed.

As for the hardware...I have a few suggestions:

If you like the Dinan pulley, and you are set on getting a Dinan tune...I would suggest that you get the Dinan x-pipe as well.

If you like the Gintani rear muffler, then get that as well. (if you don't like the Dinan mufflers)

As for rear end gearing...

4.10 gear ratio is unrealistic option for the 7-speed DCT.

3.45 or 3.62 are the best two options to improve acceleration.

As for an intake on this car...

SAVE YOUR MONEY.

The factory air box on the M3 is an engineering masterpiece. Removing it to install an aftermarket option is a waste of money in my opinion.

The only thing you you need to improve the performance of the stock air box, is a good quality drop-in air filter from BMC or Macht Schnell.

Realistic HP/TRQ gains for:

*High performance air filter element for the stock air box
*Dinan 16% under drive pulley
*Dinan x-pipe
*Dinan performance tune for the catless x-pipe
*Gintani rear muffler section

Estimated power bump: + 35whp & +25rwtrq estimate on the same Dynojet dynamometer under ideal conditions.