View Single Post
      08-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #78
ObviousMan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 ZCP

I've been a car guy since I was a kid. I was jealous of a high school friend who had a 2002 in the mid 70's. I spent a long time being practical and buying more utilitarian cars before finally getting my first BMW. I was just starting the search for a new car, having given up on a "cursed" SAAB 9-5 Aero Wagon that had been flooded and in 2 wrecks(not my fault) within 6 months. At the time, I didn't think I could afford an M3, so I was looking for a ZHP 330. My dealership had one on the show room floor that I loved, but I also test drove a used E-46 M3. I did get the 330 and still have it...it is my SCCA autocross car, but the lust for an M3 was instilled.

In 2008, a friend got an E90 M3 and promptly made things worse for me. He invited me to co-drive it at BMW Club autocrosses! I was amazed at how drivable the 400+ horsepower were and how much fun the car was. Later in 2008, I found a used 2005 E46 M3(Mystic Metallic Blue) convertible that followed me home. After a short shift kit, a Magnaflow exhaust and some aftermarket wheels, I had a car that I was very happy with...at least until late in 2010, when a new for 2011 ZCP E90 showed up on my dealer's web site. I agonized over it for about a week, trying to decide if I really could make the deal happen. The answer kept coming up as yes. After test driving the new M3, I traded in the old M3 vert for the new sedan. Almost 2 years later, I still love this car. Even with the stock exhaust, I love the sound of the V8 every time I go through the gears(6MT). It is a blast to autocross! It even has the practicality of 4 doors for when my kids are visiting, or I have co-workers along on the way to meetings.
Appreciate 0